Top 10 B-Movies of 2015


Like with 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014 this is my Annual list of my personal favorite B-Movie releases of 2015. I know it's SUPER late (Like, two years late), but I had actually given up on doing reviews for awhile and then when I got back into it I kind of forgot all about this list.

Now, there is still plenty of movies from that year that I haven't yet seen, plus it's been a couple years after the fact now, so it's possible I've potentially skipped over a few diamonds in the rough due to that, since this list is based off what I've actually watched myself and what I could dig up that came out that year. Also, this list is solely based off what has hit home video formats and Video On Demand services in 2015, so movies that aired on TV stations like Lifetime or the SyFy Channel that year, but never came out on DVD, BluRay, and VOD services until 2016 or later, does not count for this. I want this as a list of movies that you could potentially pick up yourself or have easy access to legally obtaining during that year. Likewise, some of these movies may have aired on TV in previous years, but didn't actually get released on home video formats or VOD until 2015, thus I count them as 2015 movies for that reason.

The following list won't be in any specific order, as I clearly love all of them for them to even be on the list to begin with, so putting them in any kind of ranking order beyond that is a bit moot.


 - [REC] 4: Apocalypse was a pretty action-packed finale for the [REC] series. Admittedly not quite as good as the first two movies, but way better than the third, this outing saw the return of lead character Angela Vidal in what can only be summed up as this generation's Ellen Ripley. We got Angela kicking all kinds of ass, zombie monkeys, tons of zombie carnage, and lots of mayhem on a giant boat in the middle of a storm in the ocean, plus likable new characters you can get attached to, complete with some decent twists, and we got a fun entry in the series and a nice close. 


 - Alien Outpost is a faux-documentary/Found Footage alien invasion war movie that I felt was tons of fun, with great effects and some intense action. Take Restrepo and mix it with the Halo game series and you get Alien Outpost. You can read my previously-posted full Review here.





- Dragonheart 3: The Sorcerer's Curse was a pleasant surprise. I was a huge fan of the first two when I was a kid, and I'm happy to report that I loved this entry as well. Personally I think it's way better than the second, despite having a seemingly even smaller budget. Acting is a bit meh, but the characters are fun, the effects pretty good, and the musical score fantastic. Wrap it up in an engaging fantasy story that leaves it open for the upcoming Part 4 and I walked away a happy viewer.




- Extinction is a Found Footage dinosaur adventure movie that I initially hated when I first reviewed it. However, I've done a complete 180 on my opinion of it over the last couple years and after several rewatches, now I really enjoy it quite a lot. This movie includes practical effects abounds, a great sense of adventure, intense chase scenes, fun set pieces, and unique characters that all stand out from one another. I find myself going back to this movie more and more often when I'm in the mood for a fun Found Footage flick.



- A Christmas Horror Story is a horror anthology by some of the fine folks behind the werewolf trilogy Ginger Snaps, with four intersecting stories, all wrapped around by William Shatner as an increasingly-drunk radio host. In most anthology movies you'll always get at least a couple stories you hate, but with this one I found each and every short story fantastic, with some being hilariously funny and others genuinely scary. I really hope to see a sequel to this one, because this is one of the best horror anthology movies out there.



- Sharknado 3: Oh Hell No was a shoe-in for this list. The annual Sharknado movie is one of the few joys I can look forward to every year, knowing a new one is coming out each and every year. This entry is just as much fun as the previous one, and even more crazy and insane as the sharks not only attack the White House, but go intergalactic as they get flung out into Outer Space and the characters have to fend them off with...lightsaber chainsaws! If you're a fan of this wacky series than this third outing is not one you'll want to miss.



- Stung was one hell of a fun creature feature, the likes of which we don't really see much anymore. Giant mutant wasps attacking a fancy garden party at a summer home mansion might sound generic on paper, but what sets this apart from the SyFy-produced stuff that it sounds similar to is the fact that it's all done with oldschool practical effects, it's well-acted, purposefully-hilarious, and enough gooey gore to make any gorehound happy. I'm convinced that if this had come out in the early 2000s instead of now, around the time of Lake Placid, 8-Legged Freaks, etc, that this would have gotten a theatrical release.


- We Are Still Here is a fantastically-shot, moody, atmospheric, and gory-as-hell throwback to classic 1970s/1980s Italian zombie cinema, even though this is more of a haunted house type movie than full-on-zombie one. Fulci, Argento, Bava, Lenzi, you can see homages to each of them in the style and production of this movie, and as a fan of classic Italian horror, I loved every minute of it. Story-wise, it starts off kind of slow, I admit, but I love the moody atmosphere during those scenes quite a lot, and then when shit starts happening, it gets INSANE.



- 3-Headed Shark Attack is Asylum's quasi-sequel to their previous release, 2-Headed Shark Attack, even though this movie has nothing to do with that one other than having a shark with multiple heads. I liked this one just as much, if maybe not even slightly more. Includes a huge body count, a few different unique locations so the cheesy fun multi-headed shark action doesn't get boring all taking place in the same environment, and some genuinely surprising character deaths that made it hard to tell who would actually survive this outing.



- Tremors 5: Bloodlines is, without a doubt, one of my top favorite Direct-to-Video releases of 2015. I've always been a huge Tremors fan but this entry took me by surprise. After such a long wait between sequels, I was worried as to the quality of this one, but after watching it, it turned out to be my favorite sequel in the franchise! The CG effects for the new mutated forms of the classic creatures looked great, the characters (both old and new) have great chemistry with each other, and the movie balanced scary with funny in a way not perfected since the original two movies hit our screens.



All in all, 2015 was another great year for B-Movie fans. While these are just my personal favorite ten, there are still plenty of other good, fun, worthy B-Movies from that year that fans can sink their teeth into as well.

Usually I'll compile a list of up to three Honorable Mentions at this point, however since this list came out two years late, and I had a difficult enough time trying to go back through and figure out which ten movies I love were 2015 releases just to do a Top 10 for that year, I'm going to forgo the Honorable Mentions section for this year, but I'm hoping to add it back in when I do my Best Of 2016 list over the next few weeks.

Comments

Most Popular Posts For This Week

The 10 Best B-Movies of 2011

Early Screener Review: Jailbait/17 & Life: Jailbait (2014)

The Dyatlov Pass Incident/Devil's Pass (2013)

Sleeping Beauty (2014)

Early Review: Zoombies 2 (2019)

Atlantic Rim/Attack From Beneath (2013)

Age of Dinosaurs (2013)

Early Screener Review: Android Cop (2014)

Anaconda 3: Offspring (2008) and Anacondas: Trail of Blood (2009)

Decoys 2: The Second Seduction (2007)